Employer Led Laboratory Advanced Apprenticeship
What does a Career as a Scientist mean to you?
- An exciting job with a multi-national company?
- The chance to be involved in pioneering research?
- The challenge of discovering how science touches all our lives and developing ways in which it can help to improve society?
Learning the skills of a Laboratory Technician offers the opportunity of a secure career in many different industries and one way of becoming a successful scientist is to train through an Advanced Apprenticeship.
What can TTE offer?
The TTE Employer Led Advanced Laboratory Apprenticeship is a sponsored two and a half year work-based training programme where you gain practical experience on-site with your ‘Sponsor Company,’ whilst at the same time studying for nationally recognised qualifications.
The programme is a specially designed two-phase training programme which enables apprentices to work, think and operate effectively in the work place and provides the ‘Sponsor Companies’ with motivated young people to ensure the future success of their businesses.
You will be based at your ‘Sponsor Company’ for four days per week where you will complete practical skills training, in addition to this you will complete one day per week academic study at a local college during the first two years. You will also spend two weeks at Brathay our outdoor pursuits provider in the Lake District on our Whole Personal Development programme.
You will receive a monthly pay which is reviewed annually and you will get twenty five days paid holiday (to be chosen by you but not to be taken during College term) plus Bank holidays.
You will complete the following nationally recognised qualifications:
- RoSPA Health & Safety Basic Certificate
- Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities (QCF)
- Level 3 BTEC Diploma in Applied Science (QCF)
- BTEC Higher National Certificate Diploma in Applied Chemistry (QCF)
Below are some examples of the typical Laboratory activities you will be learning.
PHASE 1 – 12 months
Based at your ‘Sponsor Company’ (the practical skills will vary from Sponsor to Sponsor):
- Differential scanning calorimetry
- High pressue liquid chromatography
- Infra-red spectroscopy
- Nuclear magnetic resonance
- Scanning electron microscopy
- Total carbon analysis
- X-ray flurescence spectroscopy
- X-ray diffration
During Phase 1 you will study for the BTEC Diploma (QCF) or Higher National Certificate Diploma (QCF) one day per week. You will also spend one week at Brathay on the Whole Personal Development Course.
PHASE 2 – 18 months
During Phase 2 you will complete the BTEC Diploma (QCF) or Higher National Certificate Diploma (QCF). You will also spend one week at Brathay on the Whole Personal Development Course. During Phase 2 you will also complete your NVQ Level 3 Diploma (QCF).